Sunday 4 August 2013

A new skill...

Last Monday, Caro Mio and Darling went to Lidl first thing and bought me a sewing machine on the day one of their regular special offers began.  They just made it, as there were only two left one hour after opening...

When I go home after work I opened the box, and made sure that the machine worked just by plugging it in, but it was too late to start threading it and trying it out; that had to wait until the weekend.

So yesterday I took out the machine, and for the first time ever in my life I wound a bobbin, and discovered that a sewing machine uses both top and bottom thread!  After reading the user manual, I cut a piece of scrap fabric, and tried a few of the settings with a contrasting colour thread.  The results were not very pretty, but I felt ready to move on to bigger and better things.
After dinner I made a toilet roll cover using pieces of fabric and ribbon I had already.  It took a bit of unpicking and re-sewing before I got it right, but I'm mighty proud of the result. 

Next project:  placemats for the kitchen table!

1 comment:

  1. well done, it looks like a complicated first sewing project! Placemats sound easier :)

    ReplyDelete