Tuesday 6 May 2014

Overcoming adversity

Or to keep on keeping on...
This tree was badly damaged during the storms we had last winter - it was basically reduced to just a stump.  And yet here it is growing again, in a new direction.

So why does this hit a chord with me now in a way it never did before?  It might have something to do with the fact I'm officially closer to 35 than to 29 now, and squarely in my thirties. Or it could be to do with the treatment and healing process I've undergone during the past 2 years.  Either way I feel a lot more rooted, that I've found the life for me, than I ever have before. 

I still expect change, hopefully for the better, but this will take place within the framework of my marriage, my family, and my hard work.  These will continue to develop and change will come through that process.   I have dreams and goals as I did in my twenties. The difference between then and now is that my dreams and goals (and expectations) are contained within the framework I've mentioned above.  I no longer feel any pressure to achieve really high goals, like being on a company board, owning a big house, or going on expensive holidays every year.  So what if I grow in a sideways fashion rather than straight up? What's important is that I haven't given up and decided to stay exactly as I am, and that both Caro Mio and I keep on learning and looking to improve how we can during the years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment