Monday 21 July 2014

A second child

Since I was little, I always assumed that I would have two children.  It was the perfect number in my mind - after all I came from a two child family myself. 

Still I would like another child... I'd love to be able to give Darling a little brother or sister, someone to play with, to look after, to argue with and share experiences with.  I'd love another baby, another son or a first daughter to love and parent just as much as I love Darling.  Though Caro Mio knows that this is something I would like, we haven't had a serious conversation about this, as I've admitted I couldn't make that decision right now.  I am extremely overweight, and on quite a high dose of anti-depressants. Not ideal conditions for conceiving, right?

Lately though I've started to ponder if I should relinquish my hope for another child someday.  I have begun to accept that I will always be living on a knife edge, watching out that I don't succumb to anxiety or to depression.  I have to make decisions keeping this in mind.  That means not pushing myself to achieve certain things, if doing so will push me over the edge.  I have to keep my balance for myself, for Caro Mio and for Darling.  None of us deserve the hard time I put us through when I am sick.

And as a result I started to remember how I felt when I was pregnant, and just after Darling was born.  I am convinced that I suffered from quite bad ante-natal and post-natal depression.  I was incapable of standing up for myself, I was sad and crying all the time, and I hated the fact that I couldn't think of others the way I wanted to.  I couldn't express myself very well, and I wasn't able to tell the psychiatrist I was referred to in the hospital what was wrong with me.  I believed that I was making a big deal out of nothing, and that I could get out of it by myself.   I did get better a few months later, but not completely, and a couple of years later I was in hospital being treated for depression. 

So now the question is:  if I am pregnant again, will I be able to stay well enough to enjoy the experience?  Will I be able to stay well enough to remain a good enough mother to Darling?  I'm afraid that I wouldn't be... I'm afraid that I would put both him and Caro Mio through some horrible times, that having another child, or a little brother or sister would not make up for.  And how about the little baby?  If I have post-natal depression again, Caro Mio won't be able to support me like he did last time, because he will have to think of Darling.  I'm afraid again, afraid I won't be able to look after the baby like I would want to. 

My wish is too dearly held to give up just like that.  For now, I will continue to see if I can reduce my medication.  When (if) the time comes for me and Caro Mio to decide though, we will have to keep all of this in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment